Oatmeal used to be boring to me and would never satisfy me for long, until I realized that the oatmeal is really only the base for a delicious bowl! It took me until college to realize this, when I was living in a dorm and sorority house with only a microwave to use for cooking. Not ideal, I know, but it led me to create the easiest, quickest and most college friendly oatmeal bowl ever, so here it is…
All you need is oatmeal (a packet or 1/2 cup oats with your desired spices), yogurt (of choice) and frozen mixed fruit! I’m weird and don’t like the texture of thick/microwaved oatmeal, so I heat the water first, then pour that into my bowl of oats until I reach my desired consistency. If you’re okay with microwaved oatmeal though, go for it! I then heat the frozen fruit and while that is heating up, I add two spoonfuls of yogurt into my oatmeal. Finally, I pour out the excess liquid from the fruit, scoop it into the oatmeal, stir it all up and enjoy!
You can get as creative as you want to with this oatmeal, adding spices, different fruit, protein powder, collagen peptides or a nut butter of your choice. Whether you choose to get creative with your bowl or keep it simple, it’s an easy breakfast that can be both filling and satisfying, so you can start your day off good!
The Easiest Oatmeal Bowl
The easiest breakfast (and snack) that got me through my first two years of college without a kitchen!
- 1/2 cup oats with spices of choice or 1 packet oatmeal
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, heated
- 1/3 cup mixed berries, frozen
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- Pour oats into your desired bowl and season with spices if desired. I add 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt to my oats.
- Heat water in the microwave for 1 minute or use a Keurig to heat it. Pour hot water into oats while stirring, until you meet your desired consistency.
- Place your frozen mixed fruit of choice into the same mug/bowl you used for water and fill with more water (if necessary) until fruit is nearly covered. Microwave for 30-45 seconds, pour out excess liquid and scoop heated fruit into the oatmeal.
- Add yogurt to your bowl, stir it all together and enjoy your easy oatmeal bowl!
This super easy recipe (if you can even call it that) was seriously my go-to in the dorms and sorority house. I even started using the same heated frozen fruit trick to make yogurt parfaits with greek yogurt, mixed fruit, granola, nut butter and honey. So if you need a simple snack that’s easy to make and uses lasting ingredients, give that idea a try too!