I love enchiladas and had really been craving some, so I had my mom send me the recipe that she’s used my whole childhood and looked it over to make some healthy swaps and additions for a more nutritious meal that would keep my tummy happy. For example, I swapped sour cream for plain greek yogurt, used whole wheat tortillas, and added some extra veggies.
This recipe does have quite a few steps but thats because you are cooking the chicken, making the sauce and assembling the enchiladas. Trust me, it’s worth the time spent in the kitchen once you dig into this meal!
- Whole wheat tortillas provide fiber and contain more nutrients than white flour tortillas, making them an easy switch for a healthier option.
- Subbing out sour cream with plain greek yogurt provides you with more protein and less fat, without sacrificing any flavor.
- This recipe is also packed with spinach, tomatoes, olives, green onion, and green chiles that all provide lots of their own nutrients (and flavor) to this meal.
Healthy & Delicious Enchiladas
Creamy, chicken and veggie packed enchiladas that are super delicious while still being a slightly healthier option with a few easy swaps and additions!.
- 5 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (4 oz.) green chiles
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1 can (4 oz.) sliced olives
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F and shred cooked chicken.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, melt butter and add garlic and green onions.
- In a bowl combine plain greek yogurt and flour, then add it to the saucepan and stir together.
- Add chicken broth, green chiles and spinach to the mixture and continue to cook on medium heat until mixture thickens and simmers. Then, remove from heat and add shredded cheese, stirring until combined.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave or oven so that they can be easily rolled.
- Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of the sauce into a bowl with shredded chicken and stir together. Divide the chicken evenly between the tortillas, approximately 1/4 cup each, and roll them up. Place them in an 8 x 8 pan with the seam down and top with the remainder of the sauce. Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Remove from the oven, top with olives, diced tomatoes and a light covering of cheese if desired, then cook for another 5 minutes, uncovered. Once finished, serve with your favorite chips and salsa and dig in!!
I highly encourage you to try this recipe if you’re ever craving some enchiladas like I was because I don’t think they’ll disappoint. If you try them, let me know wha you think!