Zucchini’s are coming in full force in our garden and that means lots of zucchini bread over here! We usually make a family recipe, but I wanted to make it a little healthier by switching up a few ingredients. I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose, loaded it with more zucchini, switched to 100% maple syrup instead of granulated sugar and changed a couple other things, as well!
I’ve grown up eating zucchini bread so I’ve never been skeptical of it, but if this is your first time hearing about it, don’t shy away! It’s another delicious bread to try and just as good as banana or pumpkin bread in my opinion. The spices and fluffy texture paired with fresh zucchini makes this bread comforting and tasty in any season that you might crave it. While we have a surplus of zucchini from the garden in the summer we are constantly making zucchini bread, but we also shred and freeze it so that we can make this bread whenever we want!
- Zucchini is full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants– similar to most squash.
- Whole wheat flour contains the bran (providing fiber, minerals and antioxidants), endosperm (mostly carbohydrates) and the germ (containing vitamins, minerals, protein and more). Refined grains like white flour only has the endosperm, so does not provide near as many health benefits as whole wheat flour does.
- Using 100% maple syrup is a great recipe replacement for granulated sugar as it is a natural sweetener that is also full of antioxidants!
- Coconut oil is sometimes overhyped for its health benefits, but I do find it to be a better option than vegetable oil in most cases.
Some substitutions can be made and result in a fairly similar outcome, like replacing honey for maple syrup or using a different oil. However, if you choose to use a different type of flour, you will need to make some adjustments to the recipe. A simple google search should tell you the proper conversion to use for the flour that you are replacing whole wheat with.
Healthier Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
This is a healthier take on my families classic zucchini bread recipe that uses whole wheat flour and other alternatives to create a delicious bread that's a little bit better for you!
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 100% maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup milk or DF alternative
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat oven to 325° F and grease a standard bread loaf pan.
Shred fresh zucchini or thaw frozen zucchini and lightly drain excess liquid.
- In a medium bowl, mix together zucchini, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil and milk.
- Add in remaining dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour into greased pan and top with a little extra shredded zucchini to add some color and decoration to your loaf.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until toothpick can be inserted and cleanly removed from the center. Let cool slightly before removing from pan and enjoy!
I hope this recipe inspires you to get baking and that making healthy swaps in classic recipes is easy and can still taste great! Let me know what you think of this recipe and how it turns out for you!!