Not gonna lie, it took me a while to give overnight oats a chance because I was worried about the consistency and usually have time in the mornings to make breakfast. However, I finally gave them a try and honestly I regret not making them sooner! These oats are creamy, fruity, flavorful and most importantly they have a great texture!! Plus, they’re soo easy to make and taste good hot or cold!
This recipe can serve as a great overnight oats base, letting you get as creative with it as you want. Listed below are examples of other add-ins and possible substitutions. For example, I used lactose free milk and a dairy free yogurt alternative because that’s what works best for me, but you should use the products that are available and work best for YOU. Get creative with your meals and remember to mix it up so that you don’t get bored of eating your breakfast! Remember, food is fuel for our bodies, but it is also a creative outlet, something to be enjoyed, is comforting and can bring us together.
Easy Substitutions & Additions:
- Maple syrup can easily be replaced by honey.
- Flax seed can be left out altogether or replaced by chia seeds.
- Milk can be dairy, lactose free, almond, oat, soy– it’s up to you.
- Yogurt can also be dairy or an alternative of your choice.
- Spices can be added, like cinnamon, to add flavor and creativity.
- Bananas and other fruits can also be added or used to replace any berries you don’t have or want.
- Nut butters are another great addition for both flavor, protein and healthy fats.
- Oats and flax seed are a good source of fiber, which is important for our digestive health.
- Yogurt and milk both provide calcium and protein, essential for our skeletal and muscular systems.
- Mixed berries are high in antioxidants, vitamin C and even fiber (most Americans don’t eat enough fruits and veggies or fiber).
- Protein powder is an extra boost of protein, but a lot depends on the brand and type you use, so do your research.
Triple Berry Overnight Oats
These creamy, flavorful overnight oats have a great texture and are so easy to prep for breakfast or snacks!
- 1/2 to 1 cup mixed berries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 tablespoon or 1 scoop protein powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add all ingredients into a mason jar or glass tupperware and shake well or stir until combined.
- Refrigerate overnight and eat cold (my summer preference) or heat in the microwave and enjoy warm!
I hope these yummy overnight oats make your breakfasts or snacks both easy and delicious! Thanks for being here and making it this far!!