This pie comes from my grandmother’s cookbook and is my all-time favorite dessert and yearly birthday request! It’s especially perfect in the spring and summer with warmer weather and fresh strawberries.
Though this recipe definitely has sugar and lots of cream cheese in it, it makes me happy and is totally okay to enjoy every once in a while, as long as you are still providing your body with the nutrients it needs. You don’t need to “earn” this dessert by working out more or limiting your calories that day. So just enjoy this perfect combination of strawberry glaze, fresh strawberries and cream cheese filling with a hint of orange!
Tips & Tricks
Your pie crust doesn’t have to be homemade. Store bought saves time and still tastes great in my opinion. In the pictures for this post, I used a store bought crust because we had it. If you don’t have any on hand or want to get a little more creative, then make your own! It’s all up to you and will taste great either way!
When choosing your strawberries, save the best looking ones to place on top of the filling and use the ones that aren’t as pretty (or are frozen) for the strawberry glaze. I used about eight large strawberries to place on the filling, but if yours are normal sized you will probably need a few more.
While your pie crust is baking, get to work on the strawberry glaze! Once your strawberries are starting to warm up and soften, mash them up to your desired consistency. Then, add in the corn starch and sugar mixture and stir until the glaze is thickened and glossy, not cloudy anymore. Take it off of the heat and let it start cooling.
By now, hopefully your pie crust is pretty cool and your cream cheese has softened so you can start on the filling! Use a standing or hand-held mixer to cream softened cream cheese with the rest of the ingredients. For the orange juice, you can juice the orange you use for the zest, but if you don’t have oranges or want to save it to eat, feel free to use some orange juice from your fridge. Wait until crust is cool, then spread filling in an even layer on the bottom of the crust.
Now it’s time for the pretty strawberries! Wash and vertically cut the strawberries in half, then arrange in circles on top of the filling layer. Space them out and arrange them however you want, they’ll still taste the same, but below is a picture of how I arranged mine!
Lastly, once the strawberry glaze is cool, carefully pour and spread it on top of the filling and fresh strawberries. Then the worst part, putting it in the fridge for 4 hours to chill, but in the mean time you can lick the bowls!
Dreamy Strawberry Pie
The most delicious combination of strawberry glaze, fresh strawberries and creamy orange filling!
- 1 pie crust
- 3 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp cream
- 8-12 fresh strawberries, halved
- Bake a pie crust of your choice (homemade or store bought) and get out cream cheese so it can start to soften.
- For the glaze, heat and mash strawberries to desired consistency in a saucepan on medium-low heat. Stir together 1 cup sugar and corn starch in a bowl, then add to strawberries. Stir on heat until mixture is thickened and translucent. Remove from heat and let cool.
- For the filling, use an electric mixer to beat together cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, orange zest, orange juice and cream. Beat until smooth.
- Once pie crust is cooled, spread filling in an even layer on the bottom. Arrange fresh, halved strawberries on top of the filling and then pour cooled strawberry glaze on top.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours so pie can set, then enjoy!
Thanks for being here and checking out one of my favorite recipes! If you bake this, I hope you love it as much as me (but that might be hard)!!